Monday, April 19, 2021

Poetry by Math Students

     Mathematics Teacher Lisa Winer (St Andrews School, Boca Raton, FL) enjoys giving her students new sorts of learning experiences.  In her eatplaymath blog, I found the results of her suggestion that students submit mathy poems to their school literary magazine.  I offer below the first of the poems in the collection that Winer offers; go here to read more -- AND, consider a poetry project for math students that YOU know!

Fixed Mindset vs. Growth Mindset

    I am bad at math   (read top to bottom)
       I am horrible at math
       So I'll never say that
       I can get an A.
       But, if I try my hardest
       I will fail. 
       I know that it's okay
       Cause when I am learning
       I think it's too hard.
       it's confusing
       even when
       I ask for help,
       my questions seem stupid
       Although
       I try my best
       I do not belong
       I am wrong to say that
       I am confident with my math skills
    I am confident with math   (read bottom to top)

Go here to read more poetry by Lisa Winer's students.

No comments:

Post a Comment