Wednesday, August 25, 2021

Using "mathematics" in a poem

     One of my daily emails is poem-a-day from poets.org -- and yesterday's poem surprised me with the word "mathematics" appearing 4 times in its 28 lines.  Here are several lines:

from  Hunter heart a lonely is the     by Kyle Dacuyan

        child in a novel        that has neither       person nor a substance
        music         mathematics is a dream           makes me see myself

        more loving       when I listen       makes my heart go
        the hunter and a lonely       Remembering is a mathematics

        and the body in its illnesses     the stamina has symphonic
        calculus of living       in a sickness      I can listen now
      . . .

Dacuyan's complete poem -- for reading aloud and contemplation -- is available here.

No comments:

Post a Comment