Wednesday, September 15, 2021

Intersecting lines of math, the arts, and justice

       A multimedia interdisciplinary project linking mathematics, the arts, and language -- and entitled  Rhythm of Structure -- was begun in 2003 by versatile mathematical artist and writer, John Sims.  I first learned of the project in 2010 when I was one of a group of writers invited to a weekend event at the Bowery Poetry Club at which Sims was then resident poet.  A catalog of the art and poetry gathered by Sims during that year is entitled Rhythm of Structure:  Mathematics, Art and Poetic Reflection, Bowery and Beyond and is available at this link.  

      Before moving on to a poem I am compelled to mention a recent instance of racial injustice; from May, 2021 this headline:

Political artist John Sims detained, handcuffed by S.C. police in his gallery apartment

found at this Yahoo site.  Sims, a black man and artist-in-residence at the Center for Contemporary art in Columbia, South Carolina, was arrested as an "intruder" as he entered his own apartment and gallery.  PLEASE, let us work together to end racially biased behavior! 

                                                               *   *   *

And next, returning to mathy poetry . . .   I offer below the opening lines of a poem included in Sims' Rhythm of Structure catalog -- this one humorous and by Shappy Seasholtz, entitled "21 Reasons Why I Hate Math."

1.  It is my worst subject.
2.  I failed Algebra in high school.
3.  When I retook Algebra in high school during the final exam the principal announced that the space shuttle had just blown up.
4.  The space shuttle probably blew up because of a mathematical error.
5.  I got terrible scores in math on my ACT's and my SAT's thus dooming me to a lifetime of liberal arts.
6.  A right angle is 90 degrees.  It is 90 degrees outside as I write this and it is hot and miserable.  I hate 90 degrees.
7.  If a train leaves Philadelphia at 1:45 PM at 55MPH and another train leaves NYC at . . .

Seasholz' complete poem is included on page 50 of Sims'  Rhythm of Structure catalog   Also in that collection you will find one of my poems, "THE SQUARE ROOT OF LOVE:  Calculating the HEART of Things."  And lots more.

No comments:

Post a Comment