Wednesday, September 8, 2021

Seeing Mathematics Everywhere

     Ohio poet Cathryn Essinger has a twin brother who is a mathematician -- and links to mathematics sometimes appear in her poetry.   Here are the opening lines of a poem I especially enjoy -- the complete poem appeared in Poetry Magazine in 2002 and is available online here.

My Dog Practices Geometry     by Cathryn Essinger

     I do not understand the poets who tell me
     that I should not personify. Every morning
     the willow auditions for a new role

     outside my bedroom window—today she is
     Clytemnestra; yesterday a Southern Belle,
     lost in her own melodrama, sinking on her skirts.

     Nor do I like the mathematicians who tell me
     I cannot say, "The zinnias are counting on their
     fingers," or "The dog is practicing her geometry,"

     even though every day I watch her using
     the yard's big maple as the apex of a triangle
     from which she bisects the circumference   

          . . .                                                                                           To continue reading, follow this link.

No comments:

Post a Comment