Monday, August 8, 2022

BRIDGES Conference 2022 -- Math-Poetry

      A couple of months ago (here in my June 8 posting) I offered a link to information about poetry to be offered at the 2022 Bridges Math-Arts Conference -- held last week in Finland.  This link leads to a series of YouTube recordings of Bridges mathy poems and this link (at the website of organizer Sarah Glaz) offers written information about Bridges poets as well as sample poems.  Visit, read and listen, learn, enjoy!

     One of my poems that is included on the Bridges poetry site is entitled "Three-fold Asylum" -- a poem that explores various roles of the number three.  I offer it below:

     Three-fold Asylum     by JoAnne Growney

     Third door left on level three, my room
     holds steel furniture—its items three:
     double platform bed (for dreamless sleep),

     square corner desk with three-castered chair
     that spins, loops, and glides from the barred door
     to the dark window that sees nowhere.

     On the desk the dried remains of plants,
     pencil and slate, family photos –
     mother, father, sister (perfect three).

     Swaying in wind, three imagined trees
     Lift their arms to offer buds to spring.
     Three wall-shelves support eighty-one books

     from which I gain some cities’ three names –
     Big Apple, New Amsterdam, New York;
     Vindobona, Vienna, Freud’s Town.

     No lamps, walls steadily phosphoresce
     while nine hours I scribble at my slate –
     consider, reconsider, erase.

     Three friends visit, one by one, bring nuts
     or chocolates, show me videos
     of the aquarium with three fish.

     Three walls hold mirrors angled at tilts
     to bounce fancies back and forth.  I count
     twenty-seven copies of myself.

 Information about BRIDGES 2023 (to be held in Nova Scotia) is available here.

No comments:

Post a Comment