Saturday, September 7, 2024

Favorite Number -- a Baker's Dozen

      Among my favorite emails are those that come from Innisfree, an online journal (at this link) edited by poet Greg McBride, with new issues emerging each six months.  A wonderful discovery in the most recent issue is the mathy poem "Lagniappe" by Michigan poet Lynn Domina.  

    Domina's poem relates to some of my delightful childhood experiences:  I often was asked to help a great aunt with her shopping  and, for both of us, one of our favorite stops was a family-owned bakery which supplied an extra pastry to any dozen purchased -- in case one of the dozen was a bit small or otherwise inferior -- and my aunt always rewarded me with the extra.  Today, no pastries -- but a great poem; read on:

The complete poem "Lagniappe" by Lynn Domina is available here.


No comments:

Post a Comment