Saturday, August 8, 2026

Is each of us a MATH PERSON?

This article "Everybody is a Math Person . . ." by writer and teacher Larry Ferlazzo explores the nature of math anxiety and also the meanings of the terms:  "math person" and "poetry person."  

Ferlazzo offers these views:  Many students say:  “I’m not good at math.” A statement made by one student that turns into a ripple effect: “Math is so hard.” “My parents aren’t good at math, and neither am I.” “I just don’t have a math brain.”  

He goes on to say that as a math teacher, he has "found it essential for students to be able to experience a sense of wonder, happiness, excitement, anticipation, puzzlement, and relaxation."  He has found that poems can open a door to thinking positively about math.  Here is a link to a posting of 35 short math poems by Claire Jensen --  "35 Poems of Maths That Make Mathematics Fun and Easy to Understand" --  and below I offer a sample: 

     The Percent        by Claire Jensen

            Out of a hundred, that’s the rule,
            A simple fraction learned in school.
            Slicing portions from the pie,
            As the shopping days go by.                         found here


No comments:

Post a Comment